Tall And True Short Reads
A Moving Sculpture
Episode 2 (20 September 2020)
“And now the piece de resistance,” the old Colonel announced, leading his younger guest to a sunlit garden. “What do you think?” he enquired, waving his walking stick at the garden’s centrepiece. There stood a life-size marble sculpture of a man and woman, hands caressing each other, lips fused in a kiss.
A Moving Sculpture
Season One: Episode 2 (20 September 2020)
Read A Moving Sculpture: https://www.tallandtrue.com.au/short-stories/a-moving-sculpture
Podcast website: https://www.tallandtrueshortreads.com
Support the podcast: https://supporter.acast.com/tall-and-true-short-reads
Buy Robert’s short story collections online:
- Amazon Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Fairhead/e/B086HZ36NM
- Rakuten Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/au/en/author/robert-fairhead
I wrote A Moving Sculpture in 1992 when I lived in England. Looking through my original notes, I can’t find the reason why I wrote it. Perhaps I just came up with the idea and explored where it took me?
Initially, the young protagonist, Toby Evans, was a journalist for a socialist magazine, researching an undercover story on landed gentry. But around this time in the UK, several stately homes were robbed, having been cased beforehand. And I thought this was a more likely scenario for Evans’s visit to the Old Colonel and the Manor House.
The story doesn’t explain the supernatural springing to life of the garden sculpture’s marble figures — I leave that to the reader’s imagination. Though years later, when I saw the Weeping Angels episode on Doctor Who, I did wonder about Eve’s intent!
I hope you enjoyed A Moving Sculpture. Please subscribe to the podcast and rate and review it via your favourite listening app. And don’t forget to tell your family and friends about Tall And True Short Reads and the Tall And True website.
The next episode of Tall And True Short Reads, Too Late Lenny, will be in your podcast feed shortly.
Podcast Theme Music and Sound Effects
Royalty-free music from Pixabay.org: Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28 ‘Pastorale’ – IV. Rondo. Allegro ma non Troppo, performed by Karine Gilanyan.
- Walking on gravel driveway: https://freesound.org/people/775noise/sounds/494571/
- Walking Cane Tapping: https://freesound.org/people/pikachu09/sounds/204605/
- Bell: https://freesound.org/people/WebbFilmsUK/sounds/200318/
- Outgoing call: https://freesound.org/people/aldenb4610/sounds/348584/
- Phone pickup: https://freesound.org/people/MootMcnoodles/sounds/444399/
- Pouring water into glass: https://freesound.org/people/FillSoko/sounds/257957/
- Owl hoot: https://freesound.org/people/Breviceps/sounds/465697/
- Squeaky hinge: https://freesound.org/people/Breviceps/sounds/515289/
- Shovel dropped on concrete: https://freesound.org/people/jackofall29/sounds/503756/
Podcast recorded in Sydney, Australia, on the land of the traditional custodians of the Eora Nation.
Acast Podcast Supporter Page
Support this show https://supporter.acast.com/tall-and-true-short-reads.