Tall And True Short Reads
Episode 77 (8 August 2023)
I’m in the middle of a dream, though it might be nearer the beginning or end. Who can tell with dreams? I’m on a rocket, and the final countdown’s begun. “10, 9, 8 …” Then I look down at myself strapped in the seat and see I’m wearing pyjamas. “It’s only a dream,” I reassure myself.
READ SHOW NOTES
Season Three: Episode 77 (8 August 2023)
Read the story on Tall And True: https://www.tallandtrue.com.au/fiction/short-stories/my-dreams
Podcast website: https://www.tallandtrueshortreads.com
Support the podcast: https://supporter.acast.com/tall-and-true-short-reads
Buy Robert’s short story collections online:
- Amazon Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Fairhead/e/B086HZ36NM
- Apple Books: https://books.apple.com/us/author/robert-fairhead/id1436773436
- Rakuten Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/au/en/author/robert-fairhead
I wrote My Dreams for the Australian Writer’s Centre’s Furious Fiction writing challenge in June 2023. The brief for the 500-word short story was:
- It had to begin in the MIDDLE of something
- And include the words LOCKET, POCKET, ROCKET and SOCKET (or longer variations retaining the original spelling).
I set my story in the middle of a dream. And although I’ve never dreamed of a rocket launch, I drew on some of my dreams for the story. For instance, at school in my pyjamas, on a bus in the buff, soaring like an eagle, playing guitar like a legend, forgetting my lines on-stage, and perhaps, once or twice, dreaming of an old girlfriend.
However, as with all my fiction, while I draw on elements of autofiction and a true sentence here and there, most of it is pure imagination. As I mentioned, I’ve never launched a rocket or made a TEDx speech. And my wife is still alive.
But I have dreamed of being visited by departed relatives and even a dear old dog. That doggy dream felt so real I could feel his coarse hair on my fingers when I reached down to pat him. And I found it comforting to touch and see him again.
I hope you enjoyed listening to My Dreams. You can read this and all my short stories and all my short stories, blog posts and other writing at TallAndTrue.com. You can also buy my short story collections from the Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and Kobo online bookstores — links are available in the show notes.
The next episode of Tall And True Short Reads will be released shortly. In the meantime, check your feed or the podcast website for earlier episodes from Seasons One, Two and Three.
And follow or subscribe to the podcast and rate and review it via your favourite app — doing so helps me share my storytelling.
You can support this podcast financially by making a small one-off or regular donation via the Acast Supporter Page.
And finally, please tell your family and friends about Tall And True Short Reads and the Tall And True writers’ website.
Podcast Theme and Sound Effects
- Snoring: https://freesound.org/people/170134/sounds/407705/
- Rocket: https://freesound.org/people/LimitSnap_Creations/sounds/318688/
- Kids laughing: https://freesound.org/people/Ben%20Keaton/sounds/430815/
- Bus: https://freesound.org/people/13FPanska_Sychra_Petr/sounds/379373/
- Eagle: https://freesound.org/people/kaydinhamby/sounds/381200/
- Electric Guitar: https://freesound.org/people/alexnekita/sounds/333247/
- Applause: https://freesound.org/people/Breviceps/sounds/462362/
- Waves: https://freesound.org/people/floating%20tree/sounds/253607/
- Underwater: https://freesound.org/people/felix.blume/sounds/209459/
- Medical Beeps: https://freesound.org/people/iluminati_2705/sounds/536706/
Tall And True Short Reads produced using Audacity.
Podcast episodes are recorded in Sydney, Australia, on the traditional lands of the Gadigal People of the Eora Nation.
Acast Podcast Supporter Page
Support this show: https://supporter.acast.com/tall-and-true-short-reads.